When it comes to the dinning halls it will be your best friend for about the first month. Your mom isn’t there to cook for you and you may be at a lost for words every time your stomach growls and you crave Bagel Street Deli for the 100th time of the day. Your budget won’t make the cut and swipes just aren’t doing the trick. It is time to learn how to cook… without parental guidance. Here is your go-to guide of dorm room recipes.
Nelson & Boyd Market shopping list
– 2-3 swipes will fill your mini fridge –
- English muffins
- Eggs or Egg Whites
- Ham or turkey – Optional
- Cheese spread of your choice
- 3 to 4 veggie options (Greens) Avocado if lucky!
- Pizza Sauce
- Spaghetti squash
- Cake mix of your choice
- Paper products – Plates etc.
- Snag some butter, S&P and sugar packets form the d-hall — FOR FREE!
Mini dorm room kitchen essentials:
They say breakfast is the most important part of the day, think about it… It is the only thing that gets me out of bed. Cereal was so High school, oatmeal is way too adult-y and honestly carbs are made for our fast paced college metabolism.
We know your heart is set on Bagel Street but check out this quick and easy bagel sandwich… and it’s low-key healthy!
- 1 Everything Bagel Thin or bagel of your choice
- ¾ cup egg whites or one regular egg
- 10-15 fresh spinach leaves or veggie of your choice
- 1 spread of creme cheese of your choice (Veggie taste amazing)
- Optional meat of your choice! (Turkey was my go-to)
- In a small bowl (paper products work or a microwave safe dish— check out this all time favorite) add egg whites and spinach leaves. Place in microwave for 1 minute 30 seconds, keeping an eye on the eggs so they don’t overflow.
- Smear wedge of creme cheese on bagel thin, spoon egg out of bowl in a single patty and place on top of cheesy everything bagel, top with avocado (if nelson market is on it’s A-game) add optional meat slices and enjoy.
- YUM! – Feel free to make these in advance for those 6 AM classes.
Recipe accommodated from Foodie Crush to fit your dorm room needs!
— Insider —
If you are a reckless dorm-y and store a toaster in your room, toast bagel while eggs are microwaving!
Now that you’re in college we don’t get that saved by the bell lunch break. If you’re lucky the lines wont be too long at the dinning halls and you can swipe in for Nelson pizza… wood fired, cheesy, pepperoni pizza. I can almost taste it!
-Have no fear, your pizza fix is here-
- English Muffin
- Pizza Sauce
- Toppings of your choice
Remember when you thought you grew out of Lunchables… you didn’t. Take your English muffin, top it with pizza sauce and cheese and add any toppings of your choice. You can either eat it plane or stick it in the microwave for melted, gooey, yummy cheese. — Good cold or heated!
Quick and easy lunch, Healthy too!
Dinner for 2
Your roomie and you are in for the night. You just got back from Ping and have no desire to ruin your workout with the Shively pasta station.
Stop by the market on your way home from the gym and pick up the trendy new spaghetti everyone is talking about; Spaghetti squash!
You could do this with your eyes closed and the taste is to die for!
- Spaghetti Squash
- Left over pizza sauce from lunch or pasta sauce of your choice (Butter is yummy too)
Use a sharp knife (or handy scissors) to pierce the Spaghetti squash in a few places to allow steam out when cooking. Microwave for 5 minutes, rotate and microwave for another 5 minutes until squash shell is soft to the touch.
Remove from microwave and let rest for 5 minutes to allow squash to finish cooking inside. Caution! Will be HOT!
Use a sharp knife, cut each end off of the squash.
Next cut the squash in half lengthwise. Allow the squash to cool for a couple minutes.
Once cooled, remove seeds. Once removed, using a fork, gently scrape the tines or the fork around the inside edge of the Spaghetti Squash to shred the pulp into strands. Place the strands (spaghetti-like ribbons) in a bowl. Top with the sauce of your choice and enjoy!
This healthy Italian dish is perfect to share! Save one half for lunch later or make it a roomie date!
Don’t think we forgot about the quick delivery of Insomnia Cookies, yes dreams really do come true in college.
Sweet treats are the key to my heart and always seem to occur late night when nothing is open but hot fresh Insomnia Cookies… those snicker-doodles are the key to my heart.
Microwave Mug Cake
3 scoops of cake mix – Any flavor works!
2 tablespoons of water
1 minute in the microwave
Melt in your mouth cake and almost positive it’s faster than Insomnia!
No need to have an empty stomach now! Check out Pinterest for more dorm room recipes!